***





Thursday, August 21, 2008

Open Adoption:

A form of adoption in which the adoptive parents, and often the adopted child, interact directly with birth parents. Family members interact in ways that feel most comfortable to them. Communication may include letters, emails, telephone calls, or visits. The frequency of contact is negotiated and can range from every few years to several times a month or more. Contact often changes as a child grows and has more questions about his or her adoption or as families’ needs change. (Thanks Wikipedia)


My friend asked me if we would be having an open or close adoption, what a great thing for me to talk about:

We feel an open adoption is the best thing for both the birth mother and the child. We plan on doing at least emails and pictures but we don’t know how often or for how long. We also plan on visiting the birth mom and her visiting us before the child is born. We plan on letting her call or text us whenever she wants before the child is born also. We plan on giving her gifts (which is a very normal thing in the adoption world, but it does sound strange) I will let you know what gifts we give once we get them.




I do know I want to give her a teddy bear and keep one that’s exactly like it so as the months go on I can take a picture of our little one with the teddy bear and when she sees the pictures she’ll know how big our baby is getting by comparing the bears.

I would also really like to get her a Willow Tree figurine. I want to get the one with the mom holding her baby.

Maybe I’ll also give her 2 scrapbooks so she has a place to put the pictures and letters as we send them.

I also want to get her some stuff so she can get pampered. Maybe some lotions and bubble bath, I will also want to get her a gift card to a spa or a massage place.

Anyway, those are my ideas. Do you guys have any cute ideas?

Also note, if the birth mom chooses she doesn’t want an open adoption and wants a closed one, we will do that for her.

4 Marks. Feel free to leave yours.:

Anonymous

i love all the ideas, they are so sweet...especially the teddy bear idea!
then again, how do you thank someone who has given the greatest gift?
you two are so amazing. i cannot wait to see what unfolds for you!

Emily and Clay

Not just for an adoption, but even for yourself. Every month on the anniversary of the birth take a picture of the baby. Then find a frame with 12 openings (pretty easy to find). Put the picture and date below each one. The first year the baby grows the most--so you can really see the development one month at a time. It turns out so cute (my sister did this).

Denise Christiansen

it all sounds great Amanda! you are so cute! still praying:)
love ya!
Mom

Kent, Krista and Family

This is a cute idea! Hopefully things will go as planned!