Gracie has this CD with Nursery Rhyme songs on it. We listen to it when I'm in the kitchen and she's sits in her bouncer while I do my thang. Anyway, I get to thinking about the silly rhymes and a lot of them are super gruesome
Jack and Jill- they went up a hill and Jack fell and broke his head open

Ring Around the Rosy-

Ring around the Rosy
Pocket full of Posy
Ashes, Ashes,
We all Fall Down
Pocket full of Posy
Ashes, Ashes,
We all Fall Down
This is about people back in the day who have the Black Plague or Bubonic Plague
One of the first visible signs of infection were red rings surrounding a rosy bump, all over the peoples' bodies and they stunk- also all the dead bodies lying around smelled pretty bad too. So they kept flowers (Posies) with them and in their pockets.... and ashes ashes- they'd sneeze so much- I believe the children thought "ashes" was the sound their sneezes made. We all fall down- Pretty self explanatory.. right?
Rock A Bye Baby- just listen to the words- yikes!
Another one that got me thinking and I'm just not sure what it's about but I came up with what I think they were singing about back in the day:
This old man-
They say he played nic knack yadda yadda yadda then he came rolling home. I think the man was crazy and was in a wheel chair and he kept pestering the people in the town at night knocking on their windows and doors then roll back home to his loony bin. When he plays 7 he plays nic knack up in heaven then 9 he plays nic knack on his spine- like the crazy man died then started haunting the other guy and knocking on his spine.. anyway.... the next one is this:
They say he played nic knack yadda yadda yadda then he came rolling home. I think the man was crazy and was in a wheel chair and he kept pestering the people in the town at night knocking on their windows and doors then roll back home to his loony bin. When he plays 7 he plays nic knack up in heaven then 9 he plays nic knack on his spine- like the crazy man died then started haunting the other guy and knocking on his spine.. anyway.... the next one is this:Farmer in the Dell- They say the farmer takes the wife, wife takes the child, child takes the nurse... and then the animals start taking each other then the cheese stands alone. I think the Farmer has a disease and gives it to his wife, the wife to the child then the child to the nurse- they all end up dieing and the animals are left alone and have to each each other cause there is no one there to feed them- so then the cheese is all that is left cause the cat ate the mouse. Make sense? See I really wouldn't doubt if I was right.
They sound so fun and cute yet they are all so icky and sooo creepy.



9 Marks. Feel free to leave yours.:
Never really thought about it that way before! I enjoyed your post.
That made me laugh a little bit because that's so true but disturbing.
Nursery ryhmns are soooo creepy! I feel the same way. If you stop to listen to the words. strange-ness.
It's really crazy that you made this post actually because Cole has a Nursery Rhyme CD with a picture book to go along with it and some of those old Nursery Rhymes are SO CRAZY!
For example:
Goosey goosey gander
whither shall I wander
up stairs and down stairs
and in my ladies chamber
there i met an old man who would not say his prayers
i took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs......
ok..... every time cole hears it he says "that's not nice!!!!"
haha
there's another one about a woman who whips her kids soundly and puts them to bed. luckily cole has no idea what whips them means.
SO WEIRD!
That is so true and so crazy you said this cause I was just thinking this the other day, Chloe loves the rock-a-bye baby song and I always think how horrible it is. And Kaden has a book that has nursery rhymes in it that he loves but they are all so weird, I don't get it.
Oh yeah they're totally creepy. and the real fairy tales are worse!
Ha ha ha. I never realized how disturbing some of those nursery rhymes are, wow.
The ashes were from burning the bodies of the dead to try to keep from spreading the plague. As far as your ruminations on the farmer in the dell.......you're scary!
I'm glad I got you started on this whole thing by asking you if you thought maybe the individuals in the farmer in the del song were eating each other.
The rock a by baby one is creepy, that's why I always change the words to something more plesant.
Post a Comment