***





Monday, January 28, 2013

My first big project

I always want to re-finish furniture but I'm too poor to get any to refinish in the first place. I was in need of a smaller computer desk so I could get the computer out of the nursery. My friend gave me one she had sitting in her garage. THANKS, FRIEND! So, thanks to her coaching and experience. She told me what product to get and how to do things. I made my own chalk paint- paint that makes no need for sanding or priming. I mixed 1/2 cup warm water + 1/2 cup plaster of paris with my hand mixer then I added 1 1/2 cups of the paint of my choice and mixed with my hand mixer. I just got a cream paint from the OOPS section at Home Depot- one gallon for $7!
I rolled on the paint with a mini roller allowed to dry then did a second coat. Once that coat was dry I got my faux technique glaze- java brown color- and painted it on the surface with a brush. I'd do one section at a time then wipe it off with a cloth. It gave it a weathered look. If it had lots of nooks and crannies it would look aged and super cool. But it doesn't, and that is fine with me. BTW I got the glaze at Home Depot too. I just got a quart cuz a little goes a long way.
I wanted the background of the shelves to be a different/accent color so I did it a light blue, that I already had. The glaze was able to work great with this background cuz it has crannies to seep into and make it look aged. I think it turned out pretty well for my first huge project. I would like new drawer pulls but that will be for another day with another budget :P
BEFORE


AFTER


The background is blue- not easy to tell in this pic though.PS I'm not sure how I feel about the end result.