***





Thursday, June 10, 2010

Low Carb Meals

So... I constantly watch the Food Network. Blake thinks it's sooooo boring. But if it weren't for that I wouldn't have the inspiration and desire to cook and bake! It get my noodle going and I tend to make up foods. I'm really trying to eat low carb these days. And I must say, a low carb way of eating is the way to go for me. I've lost nearly 20 pounds :) I feel pretty good. Anyway....

I thought I'd share a couple of my creations with you. I wanted lasagna, but didn't want to use noodles. Now, with this recipe you can use any veggie/squash you want. I used eggplant. I've never had it before and it isn't half bad! Well anyway, I cut the eggplant into disks and then rinsed them in water and coated them in parmesan cheese (as apposed to bread crumbs. more protein, less carbs.) and then just fried them in a hot pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. Then I used that as the noodle part of the lasagna and layered it as usual. I use cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese in my layers and ground beef in my secret marinara sauce for added protein. It turned out pretty dang good! I'm not entirely sure I'd use eggplant again. It's good but I like other veggies more.

The next one, I made last night. I used spaghetti squash this time. I cut it into big chunks and boiled it. Then I took it off the skin, put into a bowl, added some parmesan cheese, mixed it, then formed little patties. Makes about 12 little patties (note, you should squeeze out the extra water before forming into patties) And again, I coated them in parmesan cheese. Then I baked them 350 degrees until the tops were brown. Then I heated No Sugar Added Hunts Spaghetti Sauce. Finally, I plated the patties and spooned the sauce on top. I loved it just like that. But Blake liked mozzarella cheese melted on top and some grilled chicken in the mix. I should have thought, grilled chicken! So next time I make it I will grill up some chicken tenders, then add the sauce to it just like the squash.

I hope my instructions make sense. If you try them, let me know what you think.

4 Marks. Feel free to leave yours.:

BusyB

Looks good. going to have to try it! Thank you!!! Love good meals to suprise family once in a while!!!

Kaycee

I do want to try! sounds so good! I will let you know what I think.

Anonymous

wow! those sound great! i love spaghetti squash, but i've only baked it, i'll have to try boiling it.
20# is amazing girl! way to go!

Denise Christiansen

So proud of u! Low carbs are better than no carbs however so be careful. Keep up the good work and inspriration